Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Q&A: On Salvation at the Last Moment; The Mystery of Damnation and Free Will; The Malice of the Devil; The Unforgivable Sin and Eternal Hell etc.

Question: “Hello, Could you please tell me if there any Priests who you have faith in, at present?? How does one go to confession in these times? Can we be saved without Absolution?........Do you put much faith in the promise attached to the Brown Scapular of Mount Carmel?....St. Simon de Montfort, didn't seem to put much faith in it. Do you believe people can be saved at the last minute?.....(Not meaning to 'Promote' Presumption).....Could you tell me what the In-forgivable sin Is? Very Hopeful of your response. Very Sincerely,
Michael.”

Hi Michael,
To your first question: no, at present there are no priests I have faith in - but that could change in the future.

As to your second question, that was addressed in this post:


As to your third question, yes, one can be saved without a priestly absolution (provided no catholic priest is available) and you have a desire for confession.
But there are some requirements that are necessary to be fulfilled in order to be saved and forgiven one's sin both with or without priestly absolution. That is addressed in some detail in this article:


Please read it carefully, since it specifically addresses your question.

The fourth question. [If I put much faith in the Brown Scapular.] Yes I do, since the Brown Scapular and praying the Rosary is part of the Fatima message, and, according to Sr. Lucia, there will be no other new helps from Heaven in our day and age than the Devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (also part of the message) and the increased efficacy granted to the Rosary (yes, all problems can be solved by praying the Rosary - this was the solemn promise by the Virgin and people who doubt this, or don't pray the Rosary after having been informed, are missing tremendous graces and risk damning themselves for their bad will and faithlessness).

I already addressed some of these points in the most recent post, which can be accessed in the below link:


You then say St. Louis de Montfort did not put much faith in the brown scapular. I don't know where you got this information from…. Just because he did not write expressly on the benefits of the scapular as he did the Rosary, or the Consecration, or the Virgin Herself, does not mean he did not put great confidence in it.

St. Louis de Montfort is probably one of the greatest Marian saints in the Church, considering the love and devotion he had for Her, and especially considering the fact of the devotions and secrets of Mary he was graced to make known to the world! Viewed in this light it is not hard to see that he had great confidence and love with everything to do with Our Lady, including the scapular—even if he did not expressly mention it.

As to the question whether people can be saved in the last minute, to this I answer yes, but I add even more: people can be saved even in the very last moment. This is not only the teaching of Our Lord in Saint Bridget's Revelations, but is also the teaching of the Church and Her theologians and saints.

Since it is our last will that determines our destiny, all that is needed for salvation is to stop resisting God and His will. This "resisting", such as obstinate attachment to sin, can be repented of even in the last moment.

Since all that is needed is an act of the will, and an act of the will is made in a moment (the decision of the fallen angels was also an act of the will, and was an act of a moment) - that is why salvation is possible even up to the last moment of life.

This truth is explained by Our Jesus Christ thusly in St. Bridget's Revelations:

"My mercy also spares the evil for a threefold reason: First, because of my great love, for their eternal torment will be long. For that reason, because of my great love, I tolerate them until the last moment so that their torment will be delayed by the long extension of time here in the world." (Book 1, Chapter 25)

"In this way I patiently endure mankind even until the last moment, since I am both father and judge. But my justice is unchangeable, and even though it sometimes is postponed a long time, I will still either punish sinners who do not better themselves or show them mercy if they amend themselves." (Book 1, Chapter 56)

Speaking of a damned soul: "The voice of the sun seated on the seat was immediately heard: ”There is more vice than virtue here, and it is not just that vice should be joined to the summit of virtue.” The Ethiopian answered: ”Then it is just for this soul to be joined to me, for while he has some vice in himself, there is total wickedness in me.” The knight answered: ”God's mercy accompanies every person until death, until the very last moment, and then comes the judgment. Soul and body are still joined together in the man of whom we speak and he still has the power of discernment." (Book 4, Chapter 7)

Speaking of a soul being saved at the last moment: "After this sight, the Ethiopian replied: ”O Judge, the soul's sins have now been punished according to justice. Now join the two of us, this soul and me, so that we may never be separated!” But the armed soldier replied: ”Hear, Judge, you who know all things! It concerns you now to hear the last thought and feeling that this soul had at the end of her life. At the very last moment she had the following thought: 'O, if God would only give me enough life, I would gladly make reparation for my sins and serve him all the rest of my lifetime and never more offend him.' O Judge, such were her last thoughts and wishes. Remember, too, Lord, that this person did not live long enough to acquire a fully understanding conscience. Therefore, Lord, think of her youth and treat her mercifully!” A reply was then made from the book of justice: ” Last thoughts such as these do not deserve hell.” Then the judge said: ”Because of my passion, let heaven be opened up for this soul once she has undergone purgation for her sins for as much time as she is bound to suffer, unless she receives assistance from the good works of others still alive.”" (Book 4, Chapter 51)

A damned soul speaking of his will to sin even unto the last moment: "The soul answered: ”My intention was to sin unceasingly and never desist. However, because I knew that I would not live forever, I decided to sin up until the very last moment and that was my intention when I was separated from my body.” Then the Judge said: ”Your conscience is your judge. Therefore, say in conscience what sentence you deserve!” The soul answered: ”My sentence is the most bitter, wretched suffering to endure without end and with no mercy.” Then the devils went off with the soul after hearing his sentence." (Book 4, Chapter 134)

"Answer to the fifth question. ”As to why I permit myself to be blasphemed, I answer: It is written that when King David was avoiding his son's persecution, a certain man cursed him along the way. When his servants wanted to kill the man, David forbade them for two reasons: first, because he had a hope of returning; second, because he was mindful of his own weakness and sin and of the ignorance of him who had cursed him as well as of the patience and goodness of God. I am David, figuratively speaking. People persecute me with their wicked deeds, like a slave who chases his master, and they throw me out of my own kingdom, that is, out of the soul that I created and that is my kingdom. Then they find fault with me, like a criminal finds fault with his sentence, and they even blaspheme against me, because I am patient. Because I am mild, I suffer their foolishness. Because I am the Judge, I wait for them to convert until the very last moment. Finally, since people in general believe more in falsehood than in truth, and love the world more than me, their God, it is no wonder if the wicked are tolerated in their wickedness, for they wish neither to seek the truth nor to recover from their wickedness.”" (Book 5, Interrogation 12)

Of a soul being saved in the last moment: "Then said Justice again out of the Book: 'What did he love when he was in agony with the pain of death?' Then both answered: 'He loved himself, for he was more agonized with the sickness of his body and of the tribulation of his heart, than he was of the Passion of his Redeemer'. Then spoke Justice again and said: 'Still seek and look for what he loved and thought in the last moment of his life, while he still had a whole conscience and understanding'. Only the good angel answered: 'The soul thought thus. 'Woe', he said, 'to me, for I have been overbold against my Redeemer. Would God I now had time in which I might thank God for his benefits. Because it grieves me more that I have sinned against God than the pain of my body; and though I should never attain heaven, yet would I serve my God'. Justice answered out of the Book: 'For as much as you, fiend, may not see the soul for the brightness of his light, and you, my angel, may not touch the soul for his uncleanness, therefore this is the judgement; that you, fiend, purge it; and you, angel, comfort it until it be brought into the brightness of bliss. And to you, you soul, it is granted to look to the good angel and to have comfort from him; and you shall obtain the blood of Christ and the prayers of his Mother and of his Church'. ... But the king obtained no charity until the last moment of his life; for then his strength and his conscience were failing, yet he obtained of my grace godly inspiration, by which he sorrowed more of not worshipping God than of his own sorrow and harm. And this sorrow means that light by which the fiend was blinded and knew not where to lead the soul. Yet he said not that he was so blinded for lack of spiritual understanding, but because he marveled how that in that soul should be such clearness of light and so much uncleanness. The angel knew well enough whether to lead the soul, but he could not touch it until it was purged. As it is written, 'No man shall see the face of God but he be first made clean.'" (Book 8, Chapter 48)

As to the unforgivable sin, often misunderstood by protestants and unbelievers and unlearned—as can be seen in the "blasphemy challenges" made by God haters, i.e., they renounce or blaspheme the Spirit, thinking that they thus damn themselves without hope of forgiveness in an act of defiance against God and salvation—is not simply to blaspheme the Holy Spirit and then, no matter what you do afterwards, you cannot be forgiven and are damned! That is incorrect. One can always be forgiven by God even up to the last moment, provided you yourself want to be saved and give up attachment to sin.

Haydock Catholic Bible commentary on Matthew 12:31-32 (on blaspheming the Holy Spirit):

"Now this kind of sin is usually accompanied with so much obstinacy, and such wilful opposing the Spirit of God, and the known truth, that men who are guilty of it are seldom or ever converted; and therefore are never forgiven, because they will not repent. Otherwise there is no sin which God cannot, or will not forgive to such as sincerely repent, and have recourse to the keys of the Church. (Challoner) --- Whosoever he be, says St. Augustine, that believeth not man's sins to be remitted in the Church of God, and therefore despiseth the bounteous mercies of God, in so mighty a work, if he continue in his obstinate mind till death, he is guilty of sin against the Holy Ghost. (Enchir. lxxxiii. ep. 50. in fine.)"

What the unforgivable sin is, then, according to Catholic theologians, saints and bible commentaries, is to die in obstinacy against the Holy Spirit's willingness to forgive your sins and enlighten you with His truths. All people who die in damnation dies with a will obstinate against the Holy Spirit, and thus damns themselves. Since they rejected the forgiveness of the Holy Spirit, they died with a will against God and thus, will be eternally separated from God by their own will.

Yes, all damned souls choose to hate God and to be sent to Hell (this is how much they hate God with their will!) and even could they be forgiven, they would not want to be forgiven, as explained by numerous examples in St. Bridget's Revelations of damned souls. This is the mystery of damnation and dying without sanctifying grace. Since only God's grace enables us to do and will and wish good, those who die without this grace are hence unable to do good or wish any good. They are filled only with evil and hatred, and cannot want or wish but evil, and they will be united with their Father the devil, who was the originator and creator of evil.
And yes, that is another mystery, that even though God created only good, Lucifer, by his own malice and will, created evil from his own free will (i.e, he made that exist which hitherto had never existed--evil) when he eternally set up his will in obstinate opposition against God's will with an irreformable will that he (and all damned souls with him) will never change. And he did all this only because he wanted to be above God and because he did not want to humble himself and serve Him!

That this is the truth of the fall of Lucifer (devil) is expressly revealed by the devil himself in the Revelations of St. Bridget:

Then the devil appeared in the same moment. Our Lord said to him: “You were created by me and have seen all justice in me. Answer me now whether this new bride of mine is lawfully mine by proven justice. For I allow you to see and understand her heart so that you may know how to answer me. Does she love anything else as much as me or would she take anything in exchange for me?”

The devil answered: “She loves nothing as much as you, and rather than losing you, she would suffer any torment, if only you gave her the virtue of patience. I see like a bond of fire descending from you to her and it ties her heart so much that she thinks of and loves nothing but you.” Then our Lord said to the devil: “Tell me how she pleases your heart or how you like this great love I have for her.” The devil said: “I have two eyes; one is corporeal, although I am not corporeal, and with this eye I perceive temporal things so clearly that there is nothing so secret or dark that it could hide itself from me. The second eye is spiritual, and I see so clearly with it that there is no pain so small that I cannot see and understand to which sin it belongs. And there is no sin so small or slight that I do not see it, unless it has been purged by repentance and penance. But, although there are no body parts more sensitive and vulnerable than the eyes, I would still much rather desire that two burning torches without end penetrated my eyes than for her to see with the eyes of the spirit.

I also have two ears. One is corporeal, and no one can speak so secretly and silently that I do not immediately hear and know it through this ear. The second ear is spiritual, and no one can have such a secret thought or desire for any sin, that I do not hear it through this ear, unless it has been washed away by penance. And I would gladly prefer that the suffering of hell, surging forward like a stream and spreading the most terrible hot fire without end flowed through my ears than that she should hear anything with the ears of the spirit. I also have a spiritual heart, and I would gladly let it be ceaselessly cut to pieces and constantly renewed to the same suffering in order for her heart to grow cold in your service and love.

But, since you are righteous, I now have a question for you that you may answer. Tell me, why do you love her so much? Why did you not choose someone holier, richer and prettier for yourself?” Our Lord answered: “Because justice demanded this. You were created by me and have seen all justice in me. Tell me, while she is listening, why it was justice that you should have such a bad fall and what you were thinking when you fell!”

The devil answered: “I saw three things in you. I saw your glory and honor being above all things, and I thought about my own glory. For this reason I became proud and decided to not merely become your equal, but to be even higher than you. Second, I saw that you were mightier than all others, and therefore I desired to be more mighty than you. Third, I saw what would happen in the future, and since your glory and honor are without beginning and would be without end, I envied you and thought that I would gladly be tortured forever by the most bitter punishment if, thereby, you would die. And with such thoughts and desires I fell, and immediately hell was created.”

Our Lord answered: “You asked me why I love my bride so much. Assuredly, it is because I change all your malice into good. For since you became proud and did not want to have me, your Creator, as your equal, therefore, humiliating myself in all things, I gather sinners to myself and make myself their equal by giving them my glory. Second, since you had such an evil desire that you wanted to be more mighty than I, therefore I make sinners more mighty than you and partakers in my power. Third, because of your envy against me, I am so full of love that I offered myself up and sacrificed myself for the sake of everyone through my death.” Thereafter, our Lord said: “Now, devil, your dark heart is enlightened. Tell me, while she is listening, what love I have for her.”

The devil answered: “If it were possible, you would gladly suffer the same pain in each and every limb just as you once suffered on the cross in all your limbs, before losing her.” Then our Lord answered: “Since I am so merciful that I do not refuse my mercy and forgiveness to anyone asking for it, ask me then humbly for mercy yourself, and I will give it to you.” The devil answered: “Never shall I do this. For when I fell, a punishment was established for every sin and for every worthless word and thought. And every spirit or devil that fell will have his punishment. And before I would bend my knee before you, I would rather swallow all the punishments in me, as long as my mouth could be opened and closed in punishment, so that my punishment would be forever renewed.”

Then our Lord said to his bride: “See how hardened the lord of the world is and how mighty he is against me because of my hidden justice. I could indeed destroy him in a moment through my power, but I do no more injustice to him than to a good angel in the kingdom of Heaven. But when his time comes, and it is now approaching, I shall judge him with his followers. Therefore, my bride, may you always persevere in good deeds. Love me with all your heart. Fear nothing but me. I am namely the Lord over the devil and over all things created.” (Book 1, Chapter 34)

Also: "A primary reason that Hell must be eternal is that the only condition that matters to man is the present condition. But the real reason why Hell is eternal is because at death the will will be fixed for eternity. "It is because our wills" a lost soul said "were fixed for eternity at the moment of death. We had made our final choice. Our obstinacy will never leave us." (Cry of a Lost Soul). Thus, the damned will never repent and will never cease to hate God and will never seek forgiveness for their sins even if it were granted to them, "because he [the soul] was rejected by Him [God], such a person cannot but hate Him with all the strength of his wicked will. We died with willful resolve to be separated from God. Do you now understand why hell lasts forever!" (Cry of a Lost Soul). This is the real reason why Hell must be eternal." (http://www.catholic-saints.net/why-hell-is-eternal/)

I highly encourage you to read St. Bridget's Revelations if you have not done so already, since it is one of the best books one can read in order to learn the Catholic Faith and grow in the Love and Fear of God:


Related books and articles:


I hope this answers your questions. God bless!

Sincerely,
Jerome


In Jesus, Mary and Joseph!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your extensive and thoughtful reply, I've read it and am re-reading it. However, could you elaborate, if possible, on your statement about the possibility of being able to know of some Priests, who you have faith in ..('But that could change')....I would like to know of such Priests.
    Thank's Again,(From an old,Pre Vat2 Altar Boy
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael

      While I have no such priests to give, the point I was trying to make is simply that I know of no priest currently that I have faith in, while also acknowledging the fact that this may change in the future -- i.e., I may eventually find a priest I agree with or that I consider I can approach according to my conscience, or I may change my position on some doctrinal point that is currently keeping me away from most of the traditional priests.

      I hope this helps,
      Jerome

      Delete