Friday, December 29, 2017

Some important vows and resolutions I have made. It is recommended to make a list of important changes that one wishes to make in one's life.

These vows and resolutions below have I put on paper and put on the refrigerator in order to more often consider my promises and resolutions, in addition to consider the horrifying truth that I indeed could be condemned to eternal punishment. (Right now, for example, I started to fear that I could be condemned as so many others sadly will be.) Not that God wants me to be damned, but all people who are damned are damned through their own fault and bad will - and they have no one else to blame but their own self. Often have I prayed to God for the grace to be able to Love God even in hell should I be condemned, in addition for the grace not to have to hate God should I be condemned. In truth, even should I be condemned, I still ask God for the grace that He may use me to save souls, and for His own purposes and that of others.

These vows and resolutions are good and I advice all my readers to follow them also, or at least to make your own that you intend to follow, since unless one has a goal in one's life, it is hard to advance in the spiritual life.

Vows:

  • I promise to wait around 6 hours before eating my first meal every day, except perhaps on holy days.
  • I promise to move forward in my spiritual life, even if slowly and a little at a time.
  • I promise to make more penances, self-denials and sacrifices in my daily life than I hitherto have done.
  • I promise to strive to please the Holy Virgin Mary more and more in my life.
  • I promise to spread devotion to Her Sorrowful Heart and Tears until the day of my death.
  • I promise to serve Thee always, and do all in my power to make others love Thee also, O Blessed Virgin Mary!
  • I promise to do more for the sake of gaining Heaven than I hitherto have done.
  • I Promise to live in chastity bodily, spiritually, and interiorly and that even if I think I should act contrary to chastity with whatever temptations, imaginations or spirits that comes over me, I will not do it, so help me God!
  • I promise to look at the Blessed Virgin Mary's struggles more in life and imitate them as far as I can! The Blessed Virgin Mary said: “I endured carrying a most heavy load in my arms, in the sense that I suffered more sorrow of heart and tribulation than any creature. My eyes were full of tears when I contemplated the places in my Son’s body destined for the nails as well as his future passion, and when I saw all the prophesies I had heard foretold by the prophets being fulfilled in him. And now I look around at everyone who is in the world to see if there happens to be some who might have compassion on me and be mindful of my sorrow, but I find very few who think about my sorrow and tribulation. This is why, my daughter, although I am forgotten and neglected by many people, you must not forget me! Look at my struggles and imitate them as far as you can! Contemplate my sorrow and tears and be sorry that the friends of God are so few. Stand firm! Look, my Son is coming.”
  • I promise before God and the Holy Angels and Blessed Saints, that I will never voluntarily expose myself to any temptation, of whatever nature it may be, but with the help of Thy grace I will combat it vigorously.

Resolutions:

  • Make frequents acts of love of God everyday, such as saying: “God, I love you!” or, “For Love of you, God, (Jesus, Mary etc.,) I will do this now.” This practise is sure to increase your fervor and inflame you in the Love of God.
  • Remember to think of God, and to do all for the Love of God, before everything you. Also consider for what reason you are doing whatever you are doing, such as opening a door, or when commencing any work.
  • Remember to refer everything you do to God, such as all your good thoughts, words, and successes.
  • Strive to become more fervent and recollected in your prayer, and especially in your meditation. Remember to not hasten in your prayer/meditation and that you should go to your prayer with the intention that you can sit for hours to pray and meditate if God should grant you the spirit of prayer at this moment (hurrying in praying and thinking that you soon should stop and do something else are the greatest obstacles in fervent, strong and long prayers).
  • Try to seek God first in everything that you do in your life, whether it be eating or sleeping. In order to succeed with this, you will have to consider more often to what purpose, and for whose honor, you are doing this or that.
  • Make at least two mortifications in food and drink for the love of God each day in order to mortify your gluttonous spirit. Remember that a meal or drink taken without sacrificing something for the Love of God and the conversion of sinners - however small a sacrifice, such as only some additional seasoning - to the Lord is a lost opportunity.
  • Mortify your self-will for the love of God in at least two things everyday. In order to succeed with this, you will have to oftener consider the virtue of mortification for the Love of God.
  • Mortify yourself in your recreation in order to gain peace of mind and gain humility and in order not to grow attached to success and the spirit of pride and winning.
  • Try to strive for the virtue of obedience and to deny your own will as much as possible. Although obedience and the denial of one's own will is the most hardest of all the virtues to practice - especially total obedience and self-denial - nothing so much as these virtues will inflame you in the Love of God and annihilate self-love.

Remember that you will die and that you can be damned.


P.S.
With these notices now always in front of me clearly visible, I believe now I will fear more and think of these things more often than before. I have had a thought before of making a vow to every day read these vows and resolutions, but I never made it. Constant reminders are good and if one desires to advance, one will have no choice but to make resolutions like these. Only those who forget about themselves and God's commandments will be damned. People who seriously considers Hell and that they in fact can be condemned, will of course make changes in their life in order to escape such a possibility. If someone knows there is a great chance of him being damned yet does nothing about it, especially in order to overcome his greatest defects, this is a sign and indication that he is lukewarm and not so serious about his eternal welfare. But even with making promises and resolutions like these, one can still fail and be a miserable man. I am a good example of this. What then if I did nothing and promised nothing?

Please keep me in your prayers, and I will be praying for you.

If there is anything or if I can be of assistance in anyway, please do not hesitate to contact me.

3 comments:

  1. Are you being serious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I am serious. Gaining Heaven is a serious issue. And only those who take it with violence will take it!

      "And from the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent bear it away." (Matthew 11:12)

      According to Haydock Catholic Bible Commentary:

      "Ver. 12. Suffereth violence, &c. It is not to be obtained but by main force, by using violence upon ourselves, by mortification and penance, and resisting our perverse inclinations. (Challoner) --- Certainly it is great violence for a man to look for a seat in heaven, and to obtain that by his virtue which was refused him by his nature. (St. Jerome in St. Thomas Aquinas) --- The kingdom of heaven, &c. That is, the kingdom of heaven is to be obtained by mortification, penance, poverty, and those practices of austerity which John, both by word and example, pointed out. According to this interpretation, the kingdom of heaven means eternal life. Or the meaning may be, the kingdom of heaven is taken by the violent, because it is not now confined, as in the old law, to one people, but open to all, that whoever will may enter in and take possession of it. The kingdom of heaven, in this interpretation, is taken for the Church of Christ, for the gospel, and also for eternal life. (Menochius)" http://haydock1859.tripod.com/id25.html

      Delete
    2. What's wrong with Penance and working for his Salvation? His resolutions are admirable.

      Delete